Unable to open Excel files directly by clicking on the file icon
There are two solutions I have found that work.
- Open microsoft Excel (any version), then go to options -> advance (in Excel 2010)
- Find a checkbox saying: “Ignore Other Application” or “Ignore Other Application that use DDE” (in Excel 2010). Make sure you unchecked it. If you cant find it under the advanced tab, just search around, it should be somewhere in the options, depending on which version of Excel you have. Save it.
- Try to directly open document by double clicking it. Should be fine now.
- Click on Start> Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Select a .xls or .xlsx type in the list and click Change Program.
- Click on Microsoft office Excel.